Skip to main content

Download Forms:

Application Checklist

MS/DI Onsite Track Contact:

Ms. Claudia Scott
Director, Dietetic Internship
University of Houston
3875 Holman, Rm 104 GAR
Houston, TX  77204-6015

Office: 207 Cameron
Phone : (713) 743-4025
Fax: (713) 743-9860

International Application Process

UH Dietetic Internship is a diverse program, and we are proud to have interns coming from all backgrounds. International students are encouraged to apply to our program; however, we do advise students to make the necessary inquiries about obtaining visas for the period of the internship before applying to the program.

The UH internship program is a separate entity from the University of Houston and cannot provide visas to interns. The internship program takes no responsibility for the interns towards maintaining legal status in the US. The interns are not enrolled as UH students and hence the University does not provide F-1 (student) visas. It is the responsibility of the intern to obtain the necessary visa to enter the US. We will provide all the supporting paperwork as necessary.

Please check the State department website to learn more about the various categories of visas available.

Some of the common visa categories are:

F ( Student )

"an alien having a residence in a foreign country which he has no intention of abandoning, who is a bona fide student qualified to pursue a full course of study and who seeks to enter the United States temporarily and solely for the purpose of pursuing such a course of study at an established college, university, seminary, conservatory, academic high school, elementary school, or other academic institution or in a language training program in the United States, particularly designated by him and approved by the Attorney General after consultation with the Secretary of Education, which institution or place of study shall have agreed to report to the Attorney General the termination of attendance of each nonimmigrant student, and if any such institution of learning or place of study fails to make reports promptly the approval shall be withdrawn"

International students who have current F1 status can enter the internship program using OPT (optional practical training visa) during the period of the internship. OPT visa takes about 3 months to obtain and students planning to use this option are encouraged to start their paperwork as early as they can. Students with an F visa should apply for practical training (CPT or OPT) from their respective graduating institutions. Meet with the International Student Office in your university as early as you can before you graduate to start the process.

Current UH international students (on F1 visa) accepted to the internship program can maintain legal F1 status by providing the UH International Students Office with a letter from the Internship Director. This must be done immediately upon acceptance to the program.

If you have any questions, please contact the program director regarding your options.

Agencies that evaluate international credentials

Your academic degree should be validated as equivalent to the bachelor’s or master’s degree conferred by a U.S. regionally accredited college or university. Some non-profit agencies that perform this specialized service are listed below. Contact the agency for current information, procedure, and costs.

Credentials Evaluation Services, Inc.
International Education Research Foundation
P.O. Box 3665
Culver City, CA 90231

Josef Silny & Associates
International Education Consultants
7101 SW 102nd Avenue
Miami, FL 33173
Fax: 305/273-1338 or 273-1984

World Education Services, Inc. (WES)
Bowling Green Station
P.O. Box 5087
New York, NY 10274-5087

Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc.
P.O. Box 514070
Milwaukee, WI 53203-3470
Fax: 414/289-3411

WES - Branch Offices:
Chicago - 312/222-0882
Miami - 305/358-6688
Washington, DC - 202/331-2925
San Francisco, CA - 415/677-9378

Academic Credentials Evaluation Institute, Inc.
P.O. Box 6908
Beverly Hills, CA 90212
310/275-3530 or 800/234-1597
Fax: 310/275-3528

Association of International Credential Evaluators, Inc.
P.O. Box 6756
Beverly Hills, CA 90212
310/550-3305 or 888/263-2423

International Consultants of Delaware, Inc.
Barksdale Professional Center, Suite 109
625 Barksdale Road
Newark, DE 19711
Fax: 302/737-8756

Foreign Educational Document Service
P.O. Box 4091
Stockton, CA 95204

Foundation for International Services, Inc.
21540 30th Drive, SE, Suite 320
Bothell, WA 98021